We'll be uploading a 64-bit version of MPlatform SDK this week. I'll explain what this means in this post. Plus, I will share our 64-bit roadmap for other things we've got.
Word. MPlatform is now truly 64-bit, and here's what it means in practice:
- You can now build x64 apps with MPlatform. :)
- Have access to all available memory (not just 2 GB or 4 GB as in x86 apps). Some of our customers have uses cases where they need to keep a big video buffer with uncompressed video.
- Work with third-party x64 components. Some of them may work better or faster in 64-bit versions.
- Work with devices that have only x64 drivers (we haven't met these, but - just in case).
- It is possible to easily transfer data between x64 and x86 applications (via IMsenders interface, "mp://" protocol or virtual devices). And its still fast as hell, because we don't copy any memory. Popular use case: have your 64-bit app working with FMLE.
- Via internal device sharing it is possible to receive streams from a single device in x64 and x86 applications at the same time.
- DVCPRO encoder is not available in x64 right now. We just need some more time to convert it to x64.
- This is the first x64 build of MPlatform, so we don't recommend it for production/redistribution right away. If you find any problems, please report them to us immediately.
Here's what our 64-bit strategy looks like for all our products.
Already converted to x64
- MPlatform SDK and all add-ons (except for DVCPRO encoder from the Encoder lib).
- Multi-Format Source DirectShow filter.
Character Generator DirectShow filter & toolkit. Although the build inside MPlatform is already 64-bit, we still need time to create a build for this product.
- Chroma Key DirectShow filter.
- Screen Capture DirectShow filter.
- Video Scaler DirectShow filter. Not a big deal. We can do based on requests.
Priorities for these may depend on your feedback!
- Video Mixer DirectShow filter. We expect a new version of this product somewhere after the MFormats release. It will be quicker to do and the product will be more stable once it is moved to MFormats.
- DirectShow MultiGraph toolkit. New version of this product (x64 from the start) is expected after MFormats release.
QuickTime Source DirectShow filter. Becuase we use Apple's native runtime, and it still not available in 64-bit (https://discussions.apple.com/message/2452727.../), there's no way we can achieve this. Also, we don't see much sense investing further efforts into this product because the MFS filter completely replaces it.